October 28, 2021
WHAT IS BOUDOIR? BOUDOIR 101
Boudoir Photography has come a long way and there are so many different variations and takes on it. There is still a lot of taboo surrounding Boudoir but I’ll let you be the judge as to what it truly is.
So What Exactly Is Boudoir?
If you look up Boudoir on Wikipedia, you’ll get this definition: “Boudoir photography, or sensual photography, is a photographic style featuring intimate, sensual, romantic, and sometimes erotic images of its subjects in a photographic studio, bedroom or private dressing room environment, primarily intended for the private enjoyment of the subject and his or her romantic partners.”
Well, I would say there is SO much more to it than that.
Rarely do I have clients coming in specifically looking for that type of setting or only wanting it to gift to their partner and nobody else.
Here are the main reasons my clients come in for a session:
- They want to celebrate their achievements, everything they have overcame, and to treat themselves
- They want to celebrate their incredible bodies, that have endured so much
- Just for fun, because why not?
- To help ease any trauma
- Because they are badass women and don’t need to follow society’s standards
Who is Boudoir For?
Boudoir is for everyone, no matter who you are. No, you do not have to be a model to have your photos taken. No, you do not need to lose 10lbs to look great (because you look amazing no matter what!). No, you do not need to know how to pose – that is what I’m here for! To help guide and direct your throughout the entire process.
The biggest reason why I love Boudoir so much is that it is so intimate and healing. I can’t even begin to list off the many times I’ve felt bad for the way I look, felt like my body wasn’t good enough, and couldn’t really see myself for who I am. This happens so often and with Boudoir I’m able to show those who are doubting themselves that their bodies are incredible, no matter what size, colour, or shape they are. That they are worthy of having incredible images of themselves and that each and every one of us is a total badass goddess
What to Expect
If you’ve never tried a Boudoir session before, or any type of session for that matter, chances are you have absolutely NO idea what to expect. And that is okay! Let me help
What you can expect:
- To be a bit nervous, it’s totally natural, but by the time we’re shooting you’ll be having too much fun to care
- To be guided/directed through the entire session. Boudoir posing is very specific and every body is different so let me help pose you (usually posing myself first for you to see!)
- To get comfortable with yourself. Let’s face it, most people are going to be shy in just their lingerie (or less) but we’re going to be chatting, laughing, and having too much fun for you to stress out
- To walk away feeling pampered, amazing, and totally badass (because you are!)
How to Pick Your Photographer
Ohmygod, I can’t stress this enough: Choose a photographer that you are comfortable with! Period!
Boudoir is so personal and if you’re shooting with somebody that doesn’t make you feel comfortable then let them know. Your photographer should never make you do anything you don’t want to. They should make you feel welcome and surrounded in a safe environment without judgement. If you are uncomfortable, you bet it’s going to show up in those images you’re paying for. I highly recommend researching your photographer before making a final decision. Some things to look for are:
- Any reviews or feedback from previous clients
- If they have a safe, private location for your session
- Their quality of work
- What experience they are going to give you as a client
How To Prepare for Your Boudoir Session
The week of:
- Get your nails done
- Get lots of rest!
- Drink lots of water
- Plan your wardrobe (wardrobe assistance is available too!)
The day of:
- Arrive with clean, dry hair and no makeup on for your professional hair and makeup application
- Make sure to eat a full meal before arriving – and bring a snack along!
- Make sure to drink water before arriving (there is also bottled water + wine on hand!)
- Bring your wardrobe. 3-5 outfits (or more) is best!
- And of course…. have fun!!!
Join My VIP Group!
I really hope this provided some great insight into what Boudoir photography is, what you can expect, and how amazing it really is! I would also absolutely love to invite you to my VIP Group to connect with incredible women, learn more about Boudoir, and have fun. Join us!
Have you tried a Boudoir session yet?
If you’re wondering what a session includes, pricing, and what to expect, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 613-453-2699. You may also contact me HERE to set up a consult time
You can hop on over to my BOUDOIR page for some more FAQs, galleries, and articles.
Thanks so much for stopping by!